Language Arts & Literacy
Focus: Growing your child’s vocabulary and comprehension skills.
We create ample opportunities for your 2-year-old to practice language and communication through music, play and stories.
- Learning the letter “C” by learning its shape and practicing the sound it makes.
- Mimicking actions and learning the names of fingers through finger plays.
- Learning about different types of vehicles, like dump trucks, tractors and buses.
- Learning the Spanish words for eyes (los ojos) and mouth (la boca) while identifying and drawing pictures of their eyes and mouth.
Mathematics & Science
Focus: Helping your child count, recognize patterns and discover how our world works.
We teach your 2-year-old basic math and science through hands-on activities that build on their natural curiosity about the world.
- Investigating whether objects sink or float at the water table.
- Following a recipe to make cornbread using simple math skills, like counting and measuring.
- Understanding how plants grow by planting grass seeds and caring for them until they sprout.
- Learning basic shapes, like circles and squares, by going on a scavenger hunt in the classroom for objects that look like these shapes.
Social & Emotional Development
Focus: Helping your child control their feelings and behaviors.
Our teachers create a patient, supportive environment for your 2-year-old to learn about themselves and forming relationships with others. Your child will participate in activities designed to help them understand trust, empathy, compassion and a sense of right and wrong.
- Playing cooperatively with other children by painting murals as a class and sharing blocks to build a house.
- Pretending to have a picnic with classmates in the Dramatic Play center.
- Discussing ways they can help their family at home through songs.
- Discussing and celebrating accomplishments and learning about independence from books.
Fine & Gross Motor Skills
Focus: Developing your child’s coordination and balance.
Our teachers guide your 2-year-old through activities designed to help refine physical skills that utilize their small and large muscle groups.
- Feeding themselves with forks and spoons and learning to pour child-size pitchers during family-style meals.
- Working on coordination by throwing and kicking balls and conquering obstacle courses on the playground.
- Learning rhythm through dancing and musical activities.
- Learning to do basic daily skills.
Focus: Helping your child grow into a caring individual.
We believe exposing your 2-year-old to common values helps them better understand the society we live in. Throughout the year, we focus on a different value, like honesty, generosity and patience.
- Introducing the concept of sharing by role playing and reading.
- Encouraging cooperation by working in pairs.
- Discussing independence.