At Umhlali Kids Preschool, we build on the momentum of your toddler’s natural curiosity and help them learn at their own pace.
During our program our teachers form strong, caring relationships with your toddler and guide them through learning experiences that stimulate their development and reinforce the skills they’re taught at home.
Focus: Broadening your toddler’s understanding of the world around them.
We make every moment with your toddler a teachable moment. Our teachers help your toddler make connections between the language and motor skills necessary for completing tasks and responding to requests.
- Identifying and sorting objects by color, shape and size with prompts
- Following simple directions, like placing objects “in,” “on” or “under” other objects.
- Reading books and answering comparison questions
- Developing spatial awareness and learning to follow directions through activities.
- Learning about sizes and volume by filling buckets with sand and water at the sensory table.
Language & Communication
Focus: Helping your toddler express wants and needs.
Our teachers help transition your toddler from nonverbal to verbal by modeling conversations, teaching sign language and helping them identify familiar people and objects by name.
- Repeating words and phrases, like “please” and “thank you” and learning to elaborate on nonverbal requests.
- Learning simple Spanish.
- Answering questions, handling books and filling in blanks while being read to from repetitive books.
- Naming and identifying items, like various parts of a bus.
- Making back-and-forth exchanges with other classmates.
Social & Emotional Growth
Focus: Teaching your toddler to better understand emotions and respect others.
We create a safe, supportive and encouraging environment to explore their emotions in a healthy manner. Your toddler will participate in activities designed to help them identify feelings and foster relationships with friends and caregivers.
- Imitating the actions of other toddlers and adults through interactive games like “Ring Leader” and “Pretending Parade.”
- Developing pride in accomplishments and showing interest in peers’ actions through supportive activities
- Learning calming and coping skills as they’re encouraged to explain how they’re feeling and ask for help when they’re frustrated.
- Understanding emotions through songs
- Learning how to take turns and play alongside classmates through activities.
- Developing independence by inviting children to answer questions while reading books.
Fine & Gross Motor Skills
Focus: Developing your toddler’s coordination and balance.
At this stage, your toddler is extremely active. Our teachers guide them through activities that keep them moving and help them refine their motor skills in a safe environment.
- Learning to feed themselves with utensils and drink from cups during family-style meals.
- Dressing themselves while playing dress-up with simple garments, like cowboy hats, vests and sunglasses.
- Improving running, climbing, bending and jumping through activities like toe touches and obstacle courses.
- Practicing throwing, catching and kicking balls with games like basketball and hoop toss.
- Learning to walk backwards through guided activities.
- Practicing fine motor skills by painting with brushes and making play dough by mixing ingredients together with their hands.